Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Progress Check

Well tomorrow is my 2 week progress check on the hearing aids and I am a bit excited but still nervous and anxious as well. Not sure why, it's not like I am going to get my hearing checked for the first time or anything lol but nonetheless I am.

So life has been interesting the last 2 weeks to say the least. I have been trying to adjust to my new Bionic Ears and it's been a rough road in a few ways. I think first the hearing aids need to be readjusted a little to a lower volume since everything seems super duper amplified to me. I can't wear the hearing aids when I have the dishwasher going or running bath water etc because it drowns out everything else.

I have done better than I thought I would with the kids. They are loud especially Hailey at times but it's only bad when they have alot of noisy toys and are loud too. They do have a volume control on them but the dr wanted me to not use it right now to see if I really needed the adjustment or just get used to them.

The downside to my BTE's are that I am having a hard time with the phone. For those who have known me I am a talker and I used to be a phone person but since the hearing problem I avoid it. I had high hopes for my heairng aids and the phone but alas it's not what I had hoped for and perhaps it's the BTE's vs the in the ear hearing aids. The microphone is behind my ear so I have to hold the phone funny not on my ear and then I feel like the people can't hear me unless I talk up really loud.

A few other things are bugging me about the BTE's as well but nothing I couldn't live with if I had to but I am hoping to talk with them tomorrow and see what it would cost to get the in the ear ones. The phone is a lifeline and should I have to go back to work or want to I would have problems with the phone. I have worked customer service and that generally requires phone work and I need to be able to just pick up the phone and hear and not keep moving it around til it hits the right spot.

I know I have a 30 day trial on them , so I am hoping it'll not be an issue. I don't mind paying a little extra for the order thankfully tax money is coming in but I hope that'll it be nothing. I'll be sure to post tomorrow after I get back with the verdict.

All in all I am so happy to hear and be around people now without feeling bad because I couldn't hear them. Thanks to everyone for their support during the last few months it's been a hard road!

No comments: